BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card, provided by Bank of America (BAC), is a travel rewards card for US residents who want to earn points on their spending while enjoying a low introductory APR on purchases. For a card with no annual fee, I'm pleased to say that this Visa (V) card ranks as one of the top cards in the US market for those of you who travel often and who make frequent purchases through the Bank of America Travel Center as you will earn additional points on qualifying purchases you make there.
Here I've done a detailed review of the rewards BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card offers, as well as what you should watch out for if you apply for this card.
- Low intro APR on purchases.
- Earn points on all purchases.
- No intro APR on balance transfers.
0% on purchases for 12 billing cycles
14.99% - 22.99% Variable on purchases & balance transfers
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all purchases, with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees and your points don't expire
- NEW OFFER! 20,000 online bonus points if you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days — that can be a $200 statement credit toward travel purchases
- Use your card to book your trip how and where you want – no blackout dates and restrictions
- Redeem points for a statement credit to pay for flights, hotels, vacation packages, cruises, rental cars, or baggage fees
- Now with chip technology for enhanced security and protection at chip-enabled terminals
- 0% Introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases, then 14.99% - 22.99% Variable APR
- Get an additional 10% customer points bonus on every purchase when you have an active Bank of America® checking or savings account
- If you're a Preferred Rewards client, you can increase that bonus to 25%-75%. Click "Apply Now" to learn more about Preferred Rewards
- See Terms.
In This Review:Things We Like About BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card
Our Least Favorite Things About BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card
How BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card Compares With Similar Cards
Our Verdict On BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card
Things We Like About BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card
- No annual fee. Pay $0 annual fee with this card to enjoy its benefits.
- Earn 20,000 online bonus points after spending at least $1,000 on purchases. You will earn these 20,000 points if you make at least $1,000 in purchases with your card within the first 90 days of account opening. These bonus points can be a $200 statement credit towards your travel purchases, and are only for new cardmembers. Spending at least $1,000 during the first 90 days shouldn't be a problem as you'll only have to spend less than $334 in each of the first 3 billing cycles to get these bonus points.
- Earn unlimited 1.5 points for each $1 you spend on your purchases with this card.
- Enjoy 0% introductory APR on purchases for the first 12 billing cycles. After this introductory period, you'll have a 14.99% - 22.99% variable APR, depending on your creditworthiness. I recommend that you pay off your balance within this introductory period if you want to avoid paying interest.
- Earn an additional 10% customer points bonus on every purchase when you have a qualifying active Bank of America® checking or savings account. You can increase that bonus to 25%-75% by being a Preferred Rewards client. This is probably one of the biggest benefits this card offers, especially for big spenders. It works like this:
- When you have a a qualifying, active Bank of America® checking or savings account you earn an additional 10% customer points bonus on every purchase.
- When you have an average combined balance of $20K to $50K in your eligible Bank of America® banking account over a 3-month period, your customer bonus will increase to 25% of all points earned. So 10,000 points would become 12,500 points.
- When you have a 3-month average combined balance of $50K to $100K in your Bank of America® checking or savings account, you will earn a 50% rewards bonus.
- When you have a 3-month average combined balance of $100K or more in your Bank of America® checking or savings account, you could benefit from a phenomenal 75% rewards bonus. So 10,000 points would become 17,500 including the bonus!
- Rewards begin at 2,500 points. There is a wide variety of things you can redeem your points for, such as cash rewards, travel credit or gift cards. Should you want to redeem for a travel credit, it will be shown as a statement credit to deduct from your qualifying travel purchases (including travel purchases such as airfare, accommodation, baggage fees, car rentals etc). You may redeem any number of points as long as you have a minimum of 2,500 points. Book your travel as you normally would and then call or go online to redeem your points for a statement credit for part or all of your travel purchases. There are no blackout dates or restrictions when booking your trip with this card.
- No limit to the total number of points you can earn, and points don't expire. Points are useful to you regardless of when you feel like using them and how long you decide to accumulate them before their redemption.
- No foreign transaction fees. When making purchases in a different currency or in a different country, you won't be charged any foreign transaction fees, which many other credit cards will charge.
- Chip technology. Your card includes chip technology so that you get added security at chip-enabled merchant terminals, and also ease of use when you use your card internationally.
- You enjoy complimentary Museum Visits thanks to the Museums on Us® program from Bank of America. More than 150 museums, zoos and other exhibits participate in this program. Examples include the Birch Aquarium at Scripps (San Diego), Denver Zoo, Houston Zoo and The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York). To enjoy this benefit, show up at any eligible museum (you can find museums near you on the Museums on Us® web page) on the first full weekend of every month and present this credit card along with your photo ID. You can sign up to get text or email reminders as eligible weekends come up. This perk is a big saver for arts and culture lovers, and is also a plus for families with kids. The list of partner museums is subject to change, so make sure to check the Museums on Us® website to make sure that a museum is still a partner before rocking up for a free visit.
Our Least Favorite Things About BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card
- No 0% intro APR on balance transfers. This card has a 14.99% - 22.99% variable APR on balance transfers, so if you are looking to transfer an existing card balance onto a new card that has 0% intro APR on balance transfers for a certain period of time, you should consider BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ credit card (read our review of BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ credit card here) that offers 0% introductory APR for 12 billing cycles for purchases and for any balance transfers made in the first 60 days, then 12.99% - 22.99% variable APR. See Terms.
How BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card Compares With Similar Cards
Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card also has $0 annual fee but offers just 1.25 miles (unlimited) per $1 on every purchase. Like the BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card, the rewards you earn with this card can be redeemed towards any travel purchases you make wherever you choose, with no blackout dates. The 0% intro APR on purchases until December 2016 (11.9% - 21.9% variable APR after) is similar to what you get with BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card. This card also has no foreign transaction fee. You get a one-time bonus of 20,000 miles (equal to $200 in travel), after you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months.
Discover it® Miles - Double Miles your first year is another travel credit card with no annual fee lets you earn unlimited 1.5x miles on every dollar you spend on purchases, which is a similar rate to what you get with BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card. You can redeem any amount of your miles toward travel purchases on your card statement. Plus you have the flexibility to redeem for cash (as a direct deposit to your bank account) if you prefer. A nice travel perk is that Discover pays you back (up to $30 a year as an automatic statement credit) for your in-flight Wi-Fi fees. You get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months with 10.99% - 22.99% variable APR after. This card has no foreign transaction fee. 100 Miles = $1 value so 20,000 miles would be worth $200 in travel, for example. The exclusive double miles offer helps you earn a lot more miles because at the end of your first year Discover doubles all the miles you've earned. This bonus offer is only for new cardmembers. But outside of the U.S. you won't find many merchants which accept Discover cards, so although this is a good card to earn travel rewards with, it may not be the best choice to take with you on a world tour.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a totally different kind of travel rewards card. Instead of giving you miles or points that you can redeem towards the cost of travel purchases you make, like the other cards mentioned here, it lets you earn points that can be transferred to many popular frequent travel programs at a 1:1 conversion rate. That means your points are actually worth as much as the frequent flyer miles that you earn with some popular airline or hotel credit cards, but you have the choice of which frequent travel program you want to redeem your points into. You will have to be enrolled in a frequent travel program in order to transfer you points to that program. Eligible programs include Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®, United MileagePlus®, Hyatt Gold Passport®, Marriott Rewards®, IHG® Rewards Club and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® and more. But this card only lets you earn 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants (1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases), so although your points are worth more, you don't earn high points or miles on all purchases like you do with the cards above. This card has top travel benefits, but also has an introductory annual fee of $0 the first year, then $95, unlike BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card which has no annual fee. It also doesn't have a low intro APR period like BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card does.
BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card lets you earn unlimited travel rewards on all your purchases and redeem points for any travel purchases you make. You can use this Visa card at millions of locations worldwide.
BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card is an excellent credit card for you if you like to travel and want to earn 1.5 points (unlimited) per dollar you spend on purchases. If you have a Bank of America® checking or savings account then this card becomes even more rewarding because you will get an additional 10% customer points bonus on every purchase you make. If you are a Preferred Rewards client at Bank of America, then this can be one of the most rewarding travel rewards credit cards you could possibly get, as your customer points bonus could increase to 25%-75%. The 0% introductory APR on purchases for the first 12 billing cycles (14.99% - 22.99% variable APR thereafter) is also a big plus if you plan on making a big purchase within the first few billing cycles of your card membership.
One of the most attractive features about BankAmericard Travel Rewards® credit card is its offer that lets you earn 20,000 online bonus points that can be $200 in statement credit towards travel purchases – after making at least $1,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening without having to pay any annual fee. See Terms.
Ivan Daniel is a writer at GET.com, a personal finance website. Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgEditorial Disclosure: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of the companies mentioned, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.